Sunday, August 28, 2011

Love is better than anger...

I've been away for a while.
It's good to be back!

This summer I headed back to school.
University in fact.
I learned a lot about myself.
I learned to challenge what I thought I believed in.
I was remined that it's important to defend what you believe in.
Calmly.
Passionately.
Confidently.
I learned there's a name for what I believe in.
It's more than just being nice to kids.
More that teaching kids to be nice to one another.
More than 'fluff'.
More than the 'other side of the report card'.
More than lip service.
It's transformative leadership.
It's working towards removing inequalities.
From the way we think.
From the words we speak.
From the actions we choose.

Big job.
Absolutely necessary.

Just as I finished my summer term and I was taking some time to absorb all I had learned, all I had realized and all that had been confirmed...sadness struck.
Sadness struck Canadians.
Young and Old.
Right and left.
We awoke to the news that Jack Layton {leader of the NDP} had passed away.
Only weeks after announcing that he was 'taking a break' to fight a new form of cancer.
Not fair.
He fought for those who need someone to fight for them.
For families.
For the homeless.
For all Canadians.

As I write this, I'm listening to his State Funeral.

Richard Underhill performing Van Morrison's "Into the Mystic".
I'm watching his family fight back the tears and swell with pride.
Watching Canadians stand in silence.
And my heart breaks at the sight of each image.

Jack Layton left us with a powerful message.
Words to live by.
His legacy.
So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. 
And we'll change the world.  
~Jack Layton {1950-2011}

Words to live by indeed.
Theresa

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments make my day!