Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Take Some Time Tuesday {Appreciating Change}

The school year draws to a close tomorrow and with it comes change.
A tidal wave of change.
And, if I've learned anything about myself of late...it's that I actually prefer things to stay the same.
The same ol', same ol' is good with me.
Be that as it may...change is on the horizon.

With the end of this school year comes the end of my role as a classroom teacher {for now}.
I say farewell to a most fantastic bunch of students.
Students who have taken leadership and given it a new definition.
Students who are in charge of themselves.
Students who begin with the end in mind and put first things first.
Students who get themselves to school on time...even when it seems out of their control.
Boys and girls who value eachother enough to think win-win.
Who can seek to understand and synergize to get the job done.
Students who know a thing or two about keeping the saw sharp.
Students who, when asked to create a top ten list of what they loved about grade five, asked if they had to stop at 10.
Students who are appreciative for the opportunities they are given.
Students who will forever hold a special place in my heart.
These will go home with each student.
Visit the girls over at eighteen25 to make your own!

Next year, I embark on a new opportunity about which I am both thrilled and a little week in the knees!
Come September, I will take on an administrative role and challenge myself to grow in new dimensions.
At the same time, I head back to Univeristy to work towards my Master's degree.
To learn to empower my colleagues to be teacher leaders.
All for the betterment of our children.
The 144+ students who come to us everyday.
Students who we care about.
Students who trust us to keep them safe and help them grow into leaders.
Students who we value for who they are...not for how they perform on tests.
Little leaders who make us proud.
Little leaders who achieve greatness everyday.

On this last Tuesday of this school year, I take some time to be thankful for the opportunities that I've had and those that are waiting for me.

Last summer, we traveled to Pennsylvania to learn from the best.
How do we go about bringing out the leader in each of our children?
Ask Muriel Summers {centre}...she knows.
She's walked the walked.
She changes the lives of children...everyday.
I feel so fortunate to have learned from her.
In February, we traveled to San Antonio and listened to Principal El speak.
We laughed.
We cried.
We learned.

 My mind knows change is essential...but my heart reminds me that it can hurt.
I have to remember that change leads to growth.
And growth leads to success.
And all will be well.

The Alamo ~ San Antonio, Texas

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments make my day!