Sunday, June 5, 2011

5 Things I L.O.V.E. AboutYou

Nine years ago I left my 2 1/2 year old at home and headed to the hospital...to welcome the little girl who already had a name.
Nine years later, I listened as she snuggled her little sister before bed tonight and heard her say...
"When you wake up tomorrow, you won't have an eight-year-old sister anymore."
She's a great big-sister.

Little Miss Elle Laurenne was born at 11:33 p.m.
She weighed in at a healthy 8 Lbs. 8 ozs. {she would be the smallest of my babies}
Her entrance into the world...slow, then fast and furious...would come to define how she goes about life.
My Belle likes to lay low.
She's quiet and thoughtful. Silly and emotional.
She has a passionate side.
And a feisty side.
Maybe even a temper.
Maybe.
She has her own opinion and she isn't afraid to share it.
She's a dreamer.
A goal-setter.
A leader. A hard-worker.
An individual. A team-player.

Ukrainian Dancing

5 Things I l.o.v.e. about my Belle.

#1 - Her sense of humour is subtle.
For example, at the Armoury {where we were celebrating her cousin's graduation} she turned to her dad and demanded, "Drop and give me 20!" 
ap·ro·pos
In the middle of her nightly reading, she announced...
"Mom, I'm going to ask Madame if I can borrow her Frindle tomorrow."

#2 - She's determined and passionate; not taking 'no' for an answer.
When we entered the doors at the University of Alberta and she saw the Panda logo...she immediately pronounced that she is going to play hockey for them.
No question.
Just a fact.
Kids of Steel Triathlon
#3 - Elle bounces back from heartbreak.
Did I tell you about the time {during a very heated Ringette game} that she scored on herself...twice?
It goes something like this...
It had been a back and forth kind of game...1-1; 1-2; 2-2; 3-2 us.

You need to know that in Ringette, when the ring enters the crease, only the goalie can touch it. She must pick it up and throw it to her teammates.
 You know where this is going, don't you?
She picked up the ring and tossed it...right into the back of the net.
3-3
No problem...she bounces back, right?
We all {nervously} laughed it off in the stands, she skated around her net to gather her thoughts and positioned herself back between the posts.
The game continued. Back and forth.
Here they come again...she stops the ring.
Nice save.
Picks it up...and throws it...
Right into the back of her net.
Again.
She fell to the ice..sobbing.
I teared-up.
So did the other moms.
Her coach made her finish the game.
{It's kind of like getting right back on the horse.}
We lost...4-3.
No problem, it's only a game.

When I went into the dressing room to see her, she was still crying.
Her heart broken.
Not because they lost.
But because she was disappointed in herself.
Then...the other team came for a visit.
They gave Elle their Heart and Hustle award...and sang her a song...
"Holey, Moley...what a goalie"
Guess what I did?
There may have been a few more tears.
The other team had just taught her that her errors did not define her.
She bounced right back and played the next game.
Goalie-Girl
#4 -Elle's heart is two-sizes too large.
She is the most thoughtful child I know.
Consider this...
She wanted me to bring slushies for her classmates {to celebrate her birthday.}
I arrived with 18 slushies in tow.
Too late...all the kids had gone.
Mom of the Year, I know.

 I. Felt. Terrible.
I had disappointed her.
And you know what she said?
"I'm sorry you had to spend all that money and now the kids are gone."
Enough said.


#5 - She's been known to make up words when the real words escape her.
upsleeves = short sleeves
downsleeves = longsleeves
Sometimes, she has to resort to her ability to describe things.
"Mom, I dropped that thing that goes between pages in a book, so don't lose your spot."
"You mean a bookmark?"
"Yah. A bookmark!"
What will she be like after babies or in her eighties!?

My Belle is an original.

Unique.
And I'm glad I have the only copy.
~theresa~



No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments make my day!