Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Sleepy Owl Party - Phase 2

Okay...so it seems we've had our 2 weeks of Spring and Winter will return over night.
Carrying with her between 7 and 14 cm of snow.
*sigh*

 When I heard that forecast...after I muttered a few choice words under my breath...I had a flashback to the little ditty Mother Nature played on a party I hosted in January.
*fingers crossed that that doesn't happen again*

**********************************************
Weather forecasts aside...Our Sleepy Owl Party is just around the corner.
And...I'm running dangerously behind schedule...
But it will all get done...I promise.
And...if it doesn't, I'm the only one who will know;)

Over the years, I've gotten a whole lot better at planning parties on a shoestring.
I've even gotten better at reusing the decorations...
That's where this little project comes in.

My sister-in-law introduced me to an amazing blog.
It's my new love.
The author is Ashley Ann and she is a.m.a.z.i.n.g.
Photographer. Mother. Writer. DIYer.
Case in point...
Photo Credit: Ashley Ann Photography
 Let your eyes be drawn up to the bundle of goodness suspended from the ceiling.
Look at those colours and textures!
*and look at that palette bed...but that's another post entirely!*

When I saw those pictures, I decided to create a bundle of my own for our Sleepy Owl Party and then transplant it to Elle's room when the party's over.

I already had a stash of lanterns on hand from previous parties...you know...the ones before I got better at re-purposing the decorations?
I also had a few of Martha Stewart's pink tissue paper flowers lying around.
All I needed was flowers in other colours.

I set to work creating a few of my own.
All you need is tissue paper, fishing line and a whole lot of patience.
Fold the tissue paper accordion style and round the edges.
Find the centre and tie with fishing line.
Fan out the folds.
Separate the layers...here's where you'll need the patience!
The real beauty of these flowers...lies in this little fact...
Martha Stewart flowers = 7 for $29.99
my flowers = 3 for $1.00

Here 's the final {for now} product...it may need a little tweak here, or a little tweak there.
 
   
 And so continues the party preparation!
Thanks for dropping by!
Cheers!
~theresa~

3 comments:

  1. Firstly, I will cross my fingers and throw out some good vibes that the snow doesn't affect your party! Where in the USA is there still snow in APRIL?!? Insanity!

    Secondly, thank you for posting these. 30 years old, and I had no clue how to make them. I wanted to make some for Easter, but so far have be too lazy to Google it. Thanks for saving my Google time. ;)
    ~K

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey! I just came over from Lil' Luna and this is a great tutorial for the tissue paper balls, thanks!!

    Kristie @ Making Life a Bliss

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day!