Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Better Than a Chocolate Bunny

My sister-in-law gave me an Easter gift that was better than a chocolate bunny.
I know...Better than chocolate? Hard to imagine. But it was. Truly.

She took me to a place that made me smile.
A teeny-tiny little antique-haven, nestled in the basement of a local appliance shop.
This teeny-tiny little piece of the past has eluded us for more than 15 years.
We ate our Easter dinner with the family and then we snuck away.

Truthfully, I had noticed the handful of antiques in the window...an old screen door, a distressed cabinet, a well-used butchers block.
But I had no idea what I was about to experience when I walked down those stairs.

This would be a great place to insert a photo, right?
Only...I was a bad-blogger and didn't have my camera with me. So sad.
On the other hand, it gives me a reason to go back...soon {wink, wink.}
So, you'll have to use your imagination.

Walk through the door with me, and you'll wonder about a heap of furniture waiting to be refinished.
You'll notice appliances in boxes and on the shelves.
In the background you'll hear the familiar sound of the Stanley Cup playoffs.
Never-mind all that {although it certainly tells a story.}...you're looking for antiques, remember?
Take a sharp right and head down the stairs and prepare to be wowed.
You'll be greeted with reminders of time gone by...enamel-ware; furniture; windows; metal gates; button, brooches and bottles; hats; chairs; wash basins...
Wall-to-wall and floor-to-ceiling...treasures galore.
And...nestled in the back...only noticeable if you look closely...is a lovely little lady.
The 'picker' she calls herself.

And as you talk to 'the picker' you realize that each of her treasures has been picked with love.
That drawer {that I thought would look lovely mounted on my wall}...oh, she's not selling that.
How 'bout the CBC Radio Hockey Schedule from 1947-48? Nope...not for sale.
In her words, "It's just one of those things." Well said.
Clearly, there are some things that are priceless.

As we chatted and listened intently {listening intently for me, looked a lot like wandering around the store picking up this and closely inspecting that...but I promise, I was listening intently} we discovered a few things we could not leave behind.

My sister-in-law found a chair and a thermos...a clock for the playhouse.
I brought home a thermos and intentions of returning for a time-worn wash stand.

And return I did...look at the little beauty I picked up.
A wash-stand circa a much simpler time.

The state of the paint makes me wonder what this old washstand has seen.
 To add to the charm, I filled a basket with quilts {mostly hand-stitched by Baba} and nestled the basket beneath my newest treasure.
From the bottom...
I purchased the blue-green lovely for just that reason...the colours are lovely. Aren't they?
Next up...Kieran's baby quilt, stitched with love by Baba. It was to become the beginning of something beautiful. Since Kieran, Baba has sewn a quilt for each of her grandchildren to treasure forever. 12 to date.
Above Kieran's is Elle's baby blanket. I can remember laying her newborn-self on that very blanket and snapping photo after photo.
Second to last is Ava's quilt. A rag-quilt so soft and snuggly...it won't last long in this basket!
And finally, a red and cream blankie that has wrapped many-a-baby.

 

 
 
My sister-in-law had me pick up this scale for her.
I'm not sure I can part with this!
Do you think I could borrow the pickers' line...it's not for sale, it's just one of those things;)

Cheers!
~theresa~

1 comment:

Your comments make my day!