Sunday, January 9, 2011

A Bunting Beauty

Today was to be the BIG day.
The day we celebrated Kieran and Ava's birthdays with our family.
A tradition that we look forward to every year.
A tradition that I hope to keep going forever.

Too bad for us, Mother Nature had other plans.
Here's what she delivered.
Somewhere under the mound Elle's sitting on, you'll find our steps.
Elle's thigh-high in freshly-fallen snow.
 

To avoid travel on the treacherous roads, we postponed the party and spent the day snow-blowing the driveway and sidewalks...amusing cooped-up kids and deciding on an alternate date for that party.

I decided that Mother Nature did this for a reason.
She knew I had kind of thrown this party together haphazardly and wasn't completely prepared.
She knew I needed some more time.
So thoughtful of you M.N.

After I wiped Ava's tears because she was SO disappointed that she was not going to open a million presents see her cousins today {that's how her little brain works, just sayin'!}, I came up with a game plan.

Here's what I've decided... 
Everything that I create for this party will either be made from things I have around the house or they'll have another use after the party is over.

Decorations and colour palettes can be a little tricky when you're planning for an 11 year old boy and a 6 year old girl! 
It'll just take a little creativity is all.

Game Plan - Step #1
Make Bunting
I've been loving all the bunting that I've seen around blogland.
It's got that fun, circus, happy feel to it.
Perfect for a party AND a playroom...don't you think?
I originally thought that this would be a party decoration first and then an addition to the playroom.
But, like I said, Mother Nature had other plans for me.
So, it's an addition to the playroom THEN it'll be a party decoration.
Semantics, really!

Here's what I did...
I chose 4 complementary colours and some ribbon to match.

I cut each piece of  paper in half.
 It might be helpful to know that each paper was a 12" square.
I marked the paper at 3", 6", 9" on one side and 6" on the other side.
Next, I lined up the corner with the 3" mark and cut it with my paper cutter.
Then, I lined up that same 3" mark with the 6" mark on the other side, and made that cut.
And so on...
Soon enough I ended up with some fancy little triangles.
I'm not going to lie, I was kind of amazed that I didn't mess this up!
These kind of figuring tasks, usually do not end well for me!
All of the triangles were exactly the same. No small feat for this spatially-challenged mind!
Finally, I applied the ribbon using hot glue.

 My party-decoration turned play-room addition turned out pretty darn cute, if I may say so myself!
We brought Andy back from F.A.O. Schwarz in New York for Ava, a big-brother for her beloved 'Ragelly' that you can read about here.
The window frame is from my friend Amy.
She does Word Play. She's awesome. I'll tell you more about her little talent soon.

There are two other buntings just like this one {with a little different ribbon} that I'll use to decorate the party AND the playroom.

 Take THAT Mother Nature.
~theresa~

Stay tuned for more party plans AND a playroom update.

I'm linking up:
 
 

4 comments:

  1. What a great post!
    Thanks for sharing!
    Way to show M.N!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did you let your girl go into the snow without snow pants?
    See: Second last photo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Super cute! I never thought of making one with paper.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cute! I love the fabric choices and it looks good under that window. I featured you today on my banner round up :)

    http://sunshineandchaucer.blogspot.com/2011/01/bunting-and-banner-round-up.html

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day!