Sunday, December 19, 2010

Anthro on a Shoestring

Before I knew any better, I went out and bought this little beauty from Anthropologie.
I had to have it. No ifs. No ands. No buts.
Since that day {and I'm happy to report} I've come to my senses!
 {That said, I do love this necklace...with a dress, with jeans and a t-shirt...}

Now, I go to Anthro not to lighten my wallet, but for different reasons.
I now go to enjoy the smell {oh, the lovely smell} and soak up the ideas.
I reframe my thoughts from, "I need that."
To..."I can make that."

So,I saw this.
 L.O.V.E. this.
$198 L.O.V.E. this?
Ummm...no.

I can make that.
So I did {sorta, kinda...you'll see}.

How?
1. Cut one circle from felt {you'll glue the 'petals' to this later}.
2. Cut about 5 more out of whatever you want the rosettes to look like.
An old wool sweater in my case.

3. Fold each circle in half. And again.
Okay, these are clearly NOT form a wool sweater!


{I didn't take pictures while making the necklace, and I had this one on file.}

4. Glue each 'petal' onto your felt circle.
Repeat until you're satisfied with the look of the rosette.

5. Once you've made the four rosettes, attach each to one piece of felt.

6. Snip an old necklace {purchased at Goodwill for 90 cents} in half.

7. Glue to either side of the rosettes {that have already been attached to one another}.

8. And...voila...


If I replaced one of the rosettes with some peach-coloured, airy fabric, I'd have a necklace very similar to the one from Anthro.
Not for $198.
Maybe 198 cents.

Thanks for stopping by!
Cheers!
~theresa~

Linky, linky time!
Head on over to Little Miss Momma and check out her pompom party!



13 comments:

  1. I love this idea. I think I might even have time to make one later today. I'm excited!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah. I am with ya. $198 pays a few bills around here...most of the anthro stuff can be DIYed on the cheap...

    Looks great!

    If you have a moment, please link this up to my creative juice party. subs close tomorrow!

    :)
    nicolette @

    http://momnivoresdilemma.blogspot.com/2010/12/creative-juice-thursday-3.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love these necklaces!! Thanks for visiting my blog - hope you enjoy the Cheeseburger Soup. I'm actually addicted to it every winter. lol I'm a new follower, btw!

    ReplyDelete
  4. this is gorgeous--thanks for following my blog--I'm following you, too now!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I heart all things Anthro. Great job! Hoping you'll visit me at Sew Chatty and link up to Made With Love Monday! Wishing you a very blessed Christmas! http://sewchatty.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. yep anthro love and INSPIRATION - you're turned out divine!

    ReplyDelete
  7. i was at anthro yesterday and thought of this post...

    thanks for linking up!

    can't wait to see what else you have coming in 2011

    nicolette @
    creative juice thursdays...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm a total rosette and jewelry fan so this is awesome! You have to link it up over at my Favorite 2010 Project Party here
    http://charmbraceletdiva.blogspot.com/2010/12/link-up-your-favorite-2010-project.html
    Have a very Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a cool idea! I'm going to have to have a go!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I would love to receive that. I might have to just make it for myself. Thanks for sharing.
    Kalleen

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow! I made mine the same color and using a very similar fabric.

    Check it:
    http://secondsfromcrazy.blogspot.com/2010/12/pom-pom-necklace-thief.html

    How cool are we huh? Cheers!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day!