Saturday, October 16, 2010

Silhouette Action

There have been two things that I've wanted to take care of for a long time now.
One was this frame, that although not horrid, was pretty drab.
  The second...I wanted to get in on all the silhouette action! There are so many beautiful examples around blogland.
Case in point...Kellie from This Blessed Next created an amazing light fixture.
When she turns the light on silhouettes appear in the frames! Clever...I know!
Be sure to check out the rest of her blog...including her chalkboard hallway and her picture wall...amazing!
....................
Being new at this, I decided to take it slow...start small...

To create my silhouettes I took a profile picture of each my kids against a dark wall.
I made sure their profiles had something interesting going on...ponytails for the girls and Kieran's crazy hockey hair!


I printed them on my home printer, then cut them out.
Next, I traced them on to black scrapbooking paper...and you guessed it...cut them out again.

For the background, I decided on a fabric scrap I had left from our family calendar, for two reasons.
One...it ties in with that family calendar that is just a few steps away. 
 Two...I didn't have to make any more purchases;)

I sprayed the drab old brown frame white...then distressed it with sandpaper.

This is what I came up with...
I think it needs something else...maybe a silhouette of Charlie...maybe a 'b'...I'm not sure.
But for now, I'm pleased!

It ties in nicely with our family calendar and our weekly menu board.


Do you have any ideas as to how I could spruce up my silhouette collection? 
Leave me a comment, I'd love to hear form you!

I'm linking this post to these fun parties...


4 comments:

  1. well...i think you are too kind!!!

    your silhouette are awesome. i totally understand the concept of starting off slow. (sometimes i forget it is ok to start off slow) i absolutely LOVE them on your framed window(?) it looks fantastic & the paper inbetween each panel. - smart girl!

    my project next week is going to be VERY simple. i need my house to be "slow" this week. we are actually going out of town, so i am doing it this weekend & will be done early so i can tackle my mountain of laundry & then pack. slow is good indeed! ;)

    thank you for your sweet words!
    kellie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do like the idea of a pic of Charlie and a B as well. I agree that the frames look awesome but there is still room to kick the awesome notch up a bit.

    What about a letter for each of the kiddies? A fancy (yet manly) K by Kieran's head, a E for Elle, etc?

    or you could put a second silhouette that represent each? hockey stick, barbie, etc?

    Just throwing it out there :)
    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  3. Its very cute! I thought this was going to be a post which made me cry hysterically that I dont have a vinyl machine, but you made me remember about the old school way! Thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. thank you so much for linking this up to the party!

    you are such a sweet friend to do so! i appreciate you more then you know!

    have a super week!
    kellie

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day!