Thursday, September 16, 2010

Setting the Scene for Halloween

I was so inspired by Shelley over at House of Smiths (who I adore) and her lil' Halloween ditty that I decided to dust off (no, really, I had to dust it off!) a white shelf that was hiding in the back of my closet. I bought it months ago at HomeSense and hadn't found a perfect home for it - until now!

If you haven't visited House of Smiths, you should, you'll love it:) 

Like any good creative spurt, this one began when I payed a little visit to my favourite Goodwill where I found some little treasures, just waiting for a good home...49 cent plates, a whimsical Halloween cat and some white glass vases.

That little scaredy cat was a steal at $2.99 ~ he still wore the sticker from HomeSense marked $12.99! But, he was in need of a little somethin'...I made him a rosette of his own, adding a touch of whimsy. But, you'll have to look closely at the picture of the whole shelf!
I can't get enough of that quirky little smile!
With a little Staz-on ink, some bargain stamps and a ribbon-rosette these little beauties were born.

One of my favourite parts of this project, hands down, is the little spider in the frame. I bought the frame at Micheal's for 1 cent! Yes...1 cent! I wanted more, but of course that was it! Itsy-Bitsy is a sticker and I stamped his name with stamps purchased at Dollarama for a whopping $1.25 for the whole alphabet!

...went up the water spout...you know the rest;)








 Perhaps the piece de resistance though, is my own 'subway art'. I visited Wordle.net and followed the very-to-easy-follow instructions and created (for only the cost of the ink and the paper it was printed on) this little lovely.

 I used scrap-booking paper for the background and framed it with some trim I had lyin' around.

I put all the pretties together...
...and set the scene for Halloween!

Thanks for visiting!
~Theresa~
I'm linking toThe Fall Festival @ This Blessed Nest;
Show Off Your Stuff @ Fireflies & Jellybeans;
Fabulous Friday Finds @ Frou Frou Decor;
I'm Lovin' it Fridays @ Tidy Mom;
Get Your Halloween On @ Sawdust and Paper Scraps;
The Open House Link Party @ The Answer is Chocolate;
Weekend Wrap-Up Party @ Tatertots & Jello;
Sunday Showcase Party @ Under the Table and Dreaming.





13 comments:

  1. look at how darling your display looks!!! so fun. love your plates.

    can you believe i JUST visited the house of smiths for the first time today. you are right. she's great. that's the great thing about bloging...there are so many, we can discover one new one a day!!!!

    thanks for linking up to the FALL FESTIVAL again. it was a pleasure to have you again!
    kellie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome! It is never to early for Halloween.
    Love, love, love the itsy bitsy spider.
    Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that spider frame! And thanks for sharing about wordle, I'm going to check that out. I love that you did these without an electronic cutter because we don't all have one (me included. Great ideas! I'd love you to link this up at my party.

    http://sawdustandpaperscraps.blogspot.com/2010/09/linky-party-and-scentsy-giveaway.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE that shelf, and those plates are SO CUTE!
    Thanks so much for the shout out! You're SO NICE! :)
    ~Shelley

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is adorable! I'm having an "Open House" link party, would love you to come link this up !

    ReplyDelete
  6. OMG! Rosettes on painted plates? That is WAY too cute for its own good! Love the itsy bitsy spider too! Gonna have to borrow these ideas for my Halloween decor!
    PS - love your photography of your (I'm assuming) kids in your header! Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this.. So cute.. head on over to our site for any new recipes or if you want your item to be featured

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love it! Naming the spider Itsy Bitsy is just too funny. Love your goodwill buy. That's a steal!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very clever, you are a creative lady! Spider is soooo special, love it. Really easy and inexpensive ideas that any of us can do are the best!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a fun Halloween vignette! I'm especially in love with your cute spider. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Adorable Halloween fun! Love the spider too.

    Londen

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for visiting! yes I've tried Wordle.. I actually have one on my blog that I made.. You can see it here:

    http://bunchofcraft.blogspot.com/2010/10/last-name-word-cloud-thing.html

    I love your Halloween Decorations... soooo cute!!

    - Michelle @ Bunch of Craft

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day!