Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Merci! Grazie! Mahalo!

I think one of my most important roles, as both a mother and a teacher, is to help draw the leader out of every child. To help build responsible citizens. Proactive. Kind. Courageous. Confident. Tenacious. Organized. Balanced. Open-Minded. Responsible Citizens.

And so, as a mom, I am eternally grateful for those people who do the same for my children. How do you thank someone for helping your child find the leader within? 

With Thanksgiving in Canada only a few short weeks away, it's time to start thinking about saying 'thanks' to the teachers.

So...I set to work ~ because we all know there is nothing better than a heart-felt, handmade gift;) And...nothing worse than staying up all night the night before and then having to work in the morning!

I gathered up my mish-mash of stamps; scrapbooking paper; spray adhesive; ribbon; the letter 'z' you'll see:); a clipboard; and spray clear-coat.

I used those mixed-up stamps to create my own subway artish using the word thank-you in many languages. I went to the experts at www.freelang.net/expressions/thankyou.php.
I chose words because I liked how they sounded!

I used spray adhesive to attach the stamped paper to the clipboard...because the clipboard matched my colour scheme, I left a border on the top and the bottom exposed. In my little mind, the paper seems less likely to tear if it's away from the edge. I covered the paper ~ and exposed border ~ with a Krylon Glossy Clear Coat.

 From the paper scraps, I cut out a circle and attached the letter 'z' ~
for Mme. Z {my kiddies attend French Immersion}. I added ribbon in complimentary colours...


I had my boy write a thank-you note to his teacher...before he began we talked about some things that his teachers do that he is thankful for (brainstorming in teacher-speak!). He chose what he wanted to say...we clipped it in...and...

As the season of Thanksgiving draws near, it's important to remember this...
As we express our gratitude, we must never forget that the highest appreciation is not to utter words, but to live by them.  ~John Fitzgerald Kennedy

How do you say thank-you? Mahalo? Merci?

~Theresa~

I'm linking up to the Fall Festival @ This Blessed Nest. 
Whatever Goes Wednesday @ Someday Crafts.
Show off Your Stuff Party @ Fireflies and Jellybeans. 

6 comments:

  1. What a great idea. I smell a book titled "Making memories."

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how beautiful these turned out! I also love your perspective on teaching! Your kids and students are lucky!

    ReplyDelete
  3. THIS IS FANTASTIC!!!! i thought when i first saw the picture, "that looks so fun" then when i was reading your post it is even better. love the entire post, but you are so right regarding your first paragraph! so so true. love the entire concept behind making these.

    thanks again for linking up to the FALL FESTIVAL!!! so fun to have you back again.

    kellie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love it! Such a meaningful gift!

    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely. Super creative and very personal.
    Your words are inspiring, your creations are dazzling!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a CUTE project! :)
    I love all the extras!

    Thanks for your sweet comments, as always, on my blog :)
    ~Shelley

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day!