Thursday, August 19, 2010

Back to School Means So Many Things!

In our house back to school means...well...back to school for everyone! My husband and I are both teachers and we have three school aged children...grade 5, grade 3 and Kindergarten ~ someone, please tell me where the time has gone!

This summer has been FANTASTIC! We spent three weeks camping with the family and made memories a-plenty! My husband and I traveled to Philadelphia ~ where I attended The Leader in Me conference - fabulous! Then we hopped aboard the Amtrak destined for the Big Apple...also fabulous!
Memories from Seattle ~ 2010

And now, our carefree life of no-schedules and sleeping in is drawing to a close as the beginning of a new school year is on the horizon. If I can be honest for a minute...I think I am the only person in the house who is excited about that prospect!

The back-to-school clothing and supplies were purchased months ag0 (I'm not kidding!) Way back in June we stumbled upon a HUGE sale at Ambercrombie Kids and outfitted the kiddies and we've since picked up odds 'n sods along the way. I took the easy road this year and ordered school supplies through the school...they'll arrive on day one ready to go! With those jobs out of the way I can focus on getting my house back in order...one space at a time ~ which is no small task!

Today I set out to make over my very own little nook in our master bedroom. To give some context...we live in an older bungalow that from the outside is quite unremarkable...but we have spent the last 10 years making the inside our home. Our master bedroom has no frills...no walk-in closet, no ensuite...and until today also no character!
The sad state of affairs before I began...notice the white frames just begging to be finished!

The transformation really began last week as I perused the pages of a Pottery Barn magazine. For some time I have been searching for a way to display and organize my jewelry...it seems I have a bit of a fetish!
Pottery Barn Jewelry Organizer
The I-want-immediate-satisfaction part of me said just order them! Then my conscience (husband) spoke to me! With reality riding on my shoulder, I set off with a goal...recreate PB beauty on a budget! First stop...Next to New where I purchased 3 wooden frames for $4 total...a far cry from the $70+ for the PB originals. I sprayed the frames white ~ I would have preferred my favourite Rustoleum Heirloom White, but there was none to be had so I settled for plain ole white.
I gathered my tools ~ tin snips (that apparently have weathered one too many rain storms - just look at that rust!), chicken wire (recently salvaged from a garden area in our yard) and a stapler (yes, an office stapler)! The only other one we had is too heavy-duty for this little make over!
I turned the frame over and used the handy-dandy office staple to staple the chicken-wire to the frame...being sure to pull it taught along the way.
Once assembled, I achieved the weathered-look by lightly sanding the ridges of the frame.
And...that's it!!
This project really was that easy! I'm glad that I had my conscience (husband) at the onset to talk some sense in to me! Oh, and I'm glad my friend and sister-in-law gave me the desk...it's perfect for the space! Thanks Steph!

Drum roll please...

All I need is the perfect little bench...nothing a visit to a few thrift stores won't remedy ~ I see another project in my future!

I'm linking this post to these fun parties...
Toot Your Horn Tuesdays @ Silly Little Sparrow.
Creative Share @ The Trendy Treehouse.
Strut Your Stuff @ Somewhat Simple.
Transformation Thursdays @ The Shabby Chic Cottage.
Show off Your Stuff Party @ Fireflies and Jellybeans.

Creative Organization @ The Inspired Room.

5 comments:

  1. I love this! it is 100% as cute the pottery barn influence!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now this is what I need! some jewellery organisation :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. And Coco...I need your jewelery!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful project T!! It looks lovely! Thank you for the birthday wishes for Hunter! Talk soon! Angie xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like the chicken wire, so cute, especially for earring! Nice job
    Christine
    greatoakcircle.com

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day!