Monday, May 24, 2010

Junky to Funky!

I'm linking this post to Funky Junk Interiors.

I'd like to introduce you to the girl behind the metamorphosis...my 7 year old daughter, Elle. You must first know that Elle is anything but a girlie-girl. You will not find anything pink in her closet, unless it was put there by mistake! She is my tom-boy and I love her!
The little inspiration behind the big metamorphosis! ~Elle

Align CenterElle moved away from the pink-paradise that is her sister's bedroom and into her own digs last summer. As with all decorating projects around our home, it has been a work in progress. We began with a '50's (I think!) vanity that I purchased for $15 at a local Goodwill store. Unfortunately, I have no picture of the piece in it's sad state, but imagine if you will egg-yolk yellow paint accented with black sponge marks! She was a beauty!

Soon after I brought it home, my husband (bless his soul) spent hours sanding the yellow and black gunk to reveal the bare wood beneath. His original thought was to stain the vanity brown...so he did...
Something's still not quite right here - in fact, it's still downright awful!

Since it wasn't quite what I had in mind (okay, it wasn't even close to what I had in mind!) I set to work refinishing the vanity - take two! I resisted the temptation to purchase an endless supply of spray paint and decided to use some remaining paint from another project. The top of the vanity was less than perfect so I solved that little glitch by purchasing some adorable (but not girlie) fabric that picked up on the other colours in her room. Add a few new drawer pulls, an antique chair and voila...
Elle's very own creative space.

Just for interest sake - here's what else you will see in her room.

And so the metamorphosis is complete ~ for now!
Theresa

1 comment:

  1. Wow! What an unbelievably fantastic transformation. My daughters would love to have a bedroom like this. The desk looks AMAZING!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day!