Friday, October 16, 2009

What are you thankful for?

One of the most important things to me is that my children grow to become kind, compassionate, caring people who are thankful for the life they have. So far we're doing okay! There are days that the kind, compassionate, caring kids that I know and love are hiding somewhere out of sight and they are replaced by children that make me want to run screaming into the hills...but I'm thankful that those days are few! And on those few days, I'm thankful that I have three healthy children with the spunk to stand up for themselves...even if it means driving their mommy mad!

Even when I have to pick up adult male socks (and we know there is only ONE of those in this house!!) that have been so carefully placed NEXT to the laundry basket...I am thankful that I have said adult male to leave those socks lying around! I'm thankful too that I have been with him for more than half of my life...thankful that he has helped me become who I am...thankful for the life we have. Oh...and I'm thankful for little bare bums that triumphantly sneak into mom and dad photos!
I'm thankful for conversations with Ava about who she will marry and how she will build her house when she's older (she doesn't know how to build a house you know!!) I'm thankful when she agrees that it is for the best then, that she stays with her mom and dad forever! I'm thankful for the questions she asks...Why can't she marry her cousin? How do you find a husband...do you go knocking on doors until you find someone you like? I'm thankful for her help in the kitchen.
I'm thankful for Elle's perseverance...those spelling words are no match for her tenacity! I'm thankful for the opportunity to cheer her on during ringette games. I'm thankful for the music she makes on the piano. I'm thankful for the stories we read together...that Junie B. Jones is a ham! I'm thankful for the times I listen to her read and can see that she's really getting the hang of it. I'm thankful for our cooking-together times.
I'm thankful for Mother's Day poems that arrive by mail and that Kieran thinks I'm as patient as a boa constrictor waiting for its next meal and as young as Sidney Crosby! I'm thankful for 7 am hockey games and Starbucks coffee to keep me warm! I'm thankful for his wit and quiet confidence! I'm thankful for the chance to see the Kinex structures he creates. I'm thankful for his love of reading.
I'm thankful for the roof over our heads, family dinners, and for warm baths after cool runs. I'm thankful for homemade soup, fresh bread, hot coffee, cozy homemade quilts. I'm thankful for family, for friends. I'm thankful for the opportunity to teach. I'm thankful.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments make my day!